Are we aware of climate change? What it changes? And are we really doing anything?..
hmm..lets not say.. All is well .. Not all is well!
You can see the hectic parlaying happening across the world before the Copenhagen Climate Summit and the lot of protests going on everywhere, special programs on the impacts of climate change (though not many bring out any direct relation to our lives!) ..so all of it says that ..Not all is well and that if we don’t do anything soon it may all be very bad indeed.
The basic premise of all these climate change talks for us to understand is that the global temperatures are raising and causing what is called “global warming”. The temperatures have increased much faster over the last few decades due to faster industrialization and increase in consumption of various products across the world.
So, the question maybe whats the big deal?? A few degrees hotter, maybe better for countries in the north..isn’t it? Wrong!! The increase in heat is causing changes to weather patterns, increase in sea levels (so some small islands are drowning!) and overall uncertain weather conditions. These lead to impact on food production with farmers, not knowing when it would rain and wouldn’t rain..
Not only that..another important thing for us to understand is that all major cities in the world, since the beginning of civilizations have been built beside rivers or seas all the way from New York, London to Kolkata (Calcutta), Mumbai and many other world famous cities. There would be a scenario of flooding and drowning of these great cities across the world in future if the sea levels increase or due to natural disasters like the Tsunamis caused due to un-forcastable events arising due to Global Warming!
So, there is a clear and present danger to all our countries and civilizations in the not so long term, maybe a few decades. (The impact is already felt by a lot of smaller Island countries!..Its only that we have been busy consuming all the new products from around the world and forgot to take a note of these 😉 )
So, I hope it is very clear what Climate change and Global Warming can do..and to all of us!
So, the next important focus then is for countries to take measures to decrease the global warming, one of teh main reasons for which is the CO2 emission (and other Green House Gas emissions..which heat up the world!) from industries. The US has historically been the worst polluters of the world, recently overtaken by China with all the boom in industries there and India ranks 4 I believe. So, the hectic parlaying is interms of Growth of countries Vs. Pollution and Global Warming. Secondly, an issue which the devoloping countries strongly put forward is the subsidizing and sharing of technology to reduce these dangerous gas emissions, which the industrilized world, is not able to give up without much profits!
Now, what can each of us do to help ourselves and our futures generations (our immediate kids and their kids..):
1) Make our environments greener – Have more trees and help with any causes to grow more trees.
2) Lessen Air travel – Air Travel generates a lot more green house gasses and Global warming than trains or other means of transport..so go for train/bus journeys or reduce unnecessary travel.
3) Lessen Automobile Pollution – Share Cars (Car Pooling) while going out for shopping/office etc. Use public transport like underground/Tubes when possible. Ensure there is more than one while taking a car out 🙂
4) Reduce Unnecessary Consumption – Don’t buy stuff you don’t need and just put in your wardrobe/refrigerator! (Factories cause pollution, spend electricity and generating electricity causes pollution of all kinds!)
5) Save Electricity and Water – Switch of lights, fans and otehr electric equipment when not used. Don’t waste water. (Generating electricty and purification and sourcing of water etc..all create pollution in one way or teh other)
6) Imbibe all the good learning to your children and people around/known – After reading this I am sure you’ll take some steps in the right direction.. please also guide others with the same and help them learn the cost of global warming and climate change!!
Thank you guys..